Dr. Cordoba is a certified plastic and cosmetic surgeon and a breast surgery specialist in Montreal. Dr. Cordoba practices breast augmentation with silicone implants, breast augmentation by lipofilling (injections of your own fat), and other breast cosmetic and esthetic surgeries such as breast lift (mastopexy), correction or reduction of the areola, correction of inverted nipples and the reduction of enlarged nipples. In his private practice in Montreal, Dr. Cordoba will enhance your natural beauty and your feminine shape.
Dr. Cordoba also practices cosmetic and plastic breast surgery in males, known as gynecomastia (breast reduction).
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure performed to improve the shape and size of your breasts. Breast augmentation therefore increases the volume of your breasts.
You may use a breast augmentation for different reasons:
- To enhance the size and shape of your bust for personal reasons (breast size is too small)
- To correct a loss in breast volume after pregnancy
- To balance breast size, when there exists a significant difference between the sizes of the breasts
- To restore breast shape after partial or total loss of the breast(s) for medical reasons (breast cancer)
- To replace existing breast implants for cosmetic reasons
A woman must be at least 18 years old to undergo a cosmetic breast augmentation.
Breast augmentation is accomplished by inserting breast implants either behind the breast tissue, or partially under the chest muscles. Incisions are made to keep scars as inconspicuous as possible and are usually placed:
- In the fold under the breast
- Around the lower part of the areola
- In the armpit
Breast implants are made in different sizes, shapes, such as round or anatomical (teardrop of water) and with smooth or textured surfaces.
The method of implant selection and size, along with surgical approach for inserting and positioning breast implants, will depend on your preferences, your anatomy and Dr. Cordoba’s recommendation. The shape and size of the breasts prior to surgery will influence both the recommended treatment and the final results. If your breasts are not the same size or shape before surgery, it is unlikely that they will be completely symmetrical after a breast augmentation.
Women with sagging breasts or loss in tonicity or elasticity of the skin (stretch marks), may require additional surgeries such as a breast lift (mastopexy) in order to reposition the nipple and areola upward and remove excess skin.
Patients wishing to have a cosmetic breast augmentation surgery should consider the following:
- Breast augmentation with silicone gel-filled implants may not be your only breast surgery
- Breast implants of any type are not considered lifetime devices. They cannot be expected to last forever. You will likely require surgery in the future to replace or remove the implants.
- Changes that occur to the breasts following augmentation with breast implants are not reversible. There may be an unacceptable appearance to the breast if you later choose to have the breast implants removed.
One option would be not to have a breast augmentation.
There are other options such as a breast augmentation by lipofilling (liposuction + injections of your own fat) or with saline-filled implants.
You can also use external breast implants or padded bras.